Friday, May 05, 2006

Four-eyed me

It happened during the late 2000. Probably, the few years of reading in the college-bus had taken its toll. I certainly was not a nerd. My academic scores will prove me true. May be, it was my phobia towards vegetables that diluted my vision. Or, it was because of the Computer and TV screens that I watch all day.

There is no point in investigating the cause. The damage was already done. The reality was – I WAS GETTING FREAKING BLIND. Realization of the defect in my vision was a slow process.

“There it comes. Our bus”
“Oh… Is it ours?”

“Isn’t she cute?”
“Really?”

“Damn the college administration. They have ordered for the inferior markers again. And I am not able to make out what is written on the board”

“Am I seated in a strategically wrong place? With all the reflection, refraction, diffraction and a hell lot of other optical phenomenon around me, I am unable to read what is written on the board”

“The TV is getting old and should be replaced. The text is too blurred. Poor old CRT. It is counting its days”

“How on earth is he able to read the smaller letters in the signboard?”

“What happened to my cricketing skills? Why do I drop too many catches these days? And, why do I nick the ball to the keeper too often?”

“I am okay. I am not weeping. It is the pollution in the air. I guess my eyes are too sensitive to the dust”

“The headache. Oh. Not again…”

But slowly I realized that the problem was with my vision and not with the world around me.

“What are you doing?” The doctor asked.
[What? Am I not just sitting in front of you?]“Mmm… Studying… Computer Science.”
“Oh. The computer guy” he said with a knowing smile “You people sit so near the glowing screen.”
[Come on. Do you really expect me to sit away from the computer screen? Like I watch the TV?]
“Myopia” he said, matter-of-factedly “Would you like to go for the glasses or the contract lenses?”
[Contract lenses? Those flimsy things that need to be place inside my eyelids? Are you kidding?] “I’ll have the glasses”

I got my glasses in a couple of days. The whole world seemed brighter and clearer when I wore them. Originally, I used to wear the glasses only while reading. Gradually my bespectacled period of the day increased. Now I wear them all day except when I sleep.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmm.. so you are a myopia. mee too. The first time I wore glasses, I thought God cursed me with bad vision. BTW they are contact lenses!! you can also call them contract lenses!!

Tuesday, February 06, 2007 2:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you find it? Interesting read » » »

Monday, April 23, 2007 1:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home