Monday, May 15, 2006

Life full of risks

After all these years of experience, I thought that I had learnt the art. But, yesterday I proved myself wrong. That too, through a painful act, drawing quite some blood.

It wasn’t some daredevil act where I spilled blood. Getting injured is certainly painful. No doubt about it. But, when you go past the painful period, you will step into the nicer side of getting injured. Now, believe me when I say that there is something nice about injury – something macho, boastful, sort of bravado. All the pain you go through is worthwhile if you have a good story behind it. Who on earth would not like to be in a position to narrate something dramatic like:

“Well, I got this scratch when I dived to take that blinder-of-a-catch. But, I didn’t drop the ball. We won the match because of that catch”

“Nothing serious. Just a sprain. It is an unavoidable part of every athlete’s life”

“I don’t know how that moron got a driver’s license. No doubt he would have bought it. If only I hadn’t been alert, anything could have happened”

“You know, that was a terrible… terrible accident. I was lucky to escape with minor injuries”

“That @#$%^ was a freaking dinosaur. King Kong. All brawn and no brain. My martial arts came handy. These scratches are nothing compared to what I did to him. I am sure he won’t be able to move for at least a week”

“I was just trying to save the kitten which was too scared to get down the tree. It misunderstood me”

But, what happened to me yesterday was nowhere near any of the reasons listed above. There is nothing to be proud of my injuries. I can’t go around proclaiming that I drew latitudes and longitudes on my face while shaving. Of all the things, SHAVING. How depressing. Phew.

May be the new razor was too sharp (Aren’t razors meant to be sharp?). May be, I was thinking about “Kaun” which I had watched earlier. A cut above the upper lip, one in the chin and a third in the base of neck. One more in the left thumb while cleaning the razor.

Shaving ccould end up being as violent and bloody act as anything you can imagine about.

2 Comments:

Blogger chitra said...

Have u read the story "man with a Scar". i dont remembe the autho, as i read it in school. must read.

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 4:21:00 AM  
Blogger Inder said...

Chitra,
I do remember the 'Man with the scar'. A nice one. I was never able to accept the protagonist of the story killing his wife/girl friend, though it was explained to be a brave act.
By the way, luckily I didn't get a scar :P

Thursday, June 01, 2006 8:48:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home